Beginner guitarists cannot always afford to buy expensive brand-name guitar pedals, but there is a great desire to play electric guitar and get a cool sound. So I propose you to build a simple but quality guitar pedal overdrive-fuzz, and you do not even need to etch the board, and you can just assemble everything on a piece of cardboard.
- 1/4W resistors: 1M, 470k,10k – 4 pcs, 100ohm, 47k, 1.2k;
- Film or ceramic capacitors: 100n – 3 pcs, 10n – 4 pcs, 47u /16V – electrolytic;
- Variable resistors: 50k log, 100-500k, 4.7k (better to use a trim resistor);
- Transistors: 2n5088 or KT3102EM – https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_DeOitXX;
- Stereo jacks 6.3mm – 2 pcs – https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_Dk3VEpP;
- 9 Volt battery terminal;
- DPDT stomp switch or toggle switch.
How to make a guitar pedal overdrive – fuzz and distortion with your own hands:
This guitar pedal is named “The Rocket fuzz”, the circuit of this pedal is quite simple:
Print these two sides of the “printed circuit board” on plain A4 paper and cut it out.
Then glue on both sides of the thick cardboard, making sure that all the holes match on both sides of the board. Make holes for the radio component pins with an awl.
Place all the parts in their positions on the board.
At the bottom of the board, solder all the pins of the parts using copper wire.
Now solder the variable resistors and connectors for sound and the 9-volt battery to this board.
If you want to make a full-fledged pedal you can also solder a DPDT button according to the diagram below, you can take the usual toggle switch:
If everything is assembled correctly homemade guitar overdrive-fuzz and distortion pedal should work without any problems.
Now put this whole construction into some kind of case: plastic, metal, or even wooden, I use a tin box from the candy box, it will isolate the electronics from the interference. How this pedal works you can see in the video below.